Monday, October 8, 2007

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly Reflection

I really have no opinion on whether I actually like the book, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but because of the fact that we had a certain amount of it schedueled to read through a class every night for homework. It was just another assignment to worry about and I didn't enjoy it that way. I enjoy reading books, but this one truly is a different story from some of the other ones I would choose to read, and it's hard to tell if it is in a good or a bad way. The book overall was good, but it was obnoxious to me in that it was written in the style of jumping to and from the past and his prior experiences in life. I did not much like that, mainly becasue I cound never figure if he is having a dream, recalling a past experiance, or just better in the future and out of his locked-in syndrome. I know that he otherwise wouldn't have had much of anything to say at all, but just his stories of him in the hospital, and the people visiting him there could have been a better book for me to read. However, I did really like the fact that he was making it almost a comedy at the same time a tragedy. It was good that he could have fun with the story and be humorus; accepted the fact that this was the condidtion he was in, yet still at that same time, he did not ever want to give in to his paralysis. He was very good at comparing experiences and feelings to real life concepts and even items, things such as the fact that his body was a 'diving bell' yet his mind was a 'butterfly.' I think that that really helps a reader like me see and imagine what he is going through and feeling, and that is a hard concept to pull off due to the fact that he is the one with locked-in syndrome and has issues such as not even being able to tell his own children that he loves them too. So overall, I could say that I did enjoy reading the book and getting a taste and a feel for this different style of a book, I guess that it has to do with the fact that it is a biography, and that is the feel of one.

No comments: